Sunday, June 14, 2009

Project 3 - The Art Gallery (The Site and Inspiration)

The site: The site which I had chosen for my design was site 3. Situated in King Street, Newtown. The site presented quite a unique opportunity to use the entire space (roughly 34m x 14m) which would allow ample room for a gallery and private living space.
Newtown is a very cosmopolitan area, comprising of many cultures and many different people. The ample amount of traffic, both pedestrian and vehicles was another factor to also consider.

What needed to be considered mostly was the facade, as an urban infill, the facade was either to blend in with the existing surroundings, or was to stand out and make a statement. As Viewers of the blog, I shall let you be the judge of the role the facade plays in the context of the overall design.




The Inspiration: Funnily enough, my design wasn't inspired by another gallery. Instead, the motif of pure white space was encouraged by the study of a house that I had done last year. Casa Gaspar by Alberto Baeza proved to be a unique example of inspiration. The house is very pure and minimalist and its main features showcase the play on light which reflects off the pure white concrete rendered walls. For myself, the white purity of a building was to become the focal point of my design which will be seen in the above images.

No comments:

Post a Comment